Saturday, June 30, 2007

GNT Sorbet

My all time favourite summer "slurp" would be a cool, refreshing gin and tonic, with a dash of lemon. It is a pique to the tastebuds.


So, what better way to have your sweets and drink it too, than a GNT sorbet? This is my entry into Hay Hay it's Donna Day for this month, hosted by Laura at Eat Drink Live. I've never made sorbet before, so this event was a great excuse for me to run out and buy an ice cream machine, that I had been secretly yearning for ;) As well as some new sundae bowls..oh, and a new ice cream scoop..ssshhh, don't tell my husband!

400ml cold water
300g caster sugar
300ml tonic water
50-60 ml gin
juice of 2 lemons
1tbsp glucose (this stops it from forming icy granules)

1. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute.
2. Add glucose and tonic water, chill in fridge until cold.
3. When cold add the gin and lemon juice to taste. NB: don't be tempted to add too much gin because when it is frozen the flavour intensifies.
4. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until set. Freeze for at least 2 hours after churning, then it is ready to slurp, I mean serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh - I love events that give us the chance to buy a new kitchen gadget!
This is great. Love the idea!

Pam said...

Hi Kristen, I agree. Next new gadget will be a good quality digital camera so my photos don't look like I've been "eating" GNT sorbets beforehand.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Fun idea for a sorbet! Those flavors go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Yummy~

Barbara said...

Gin and tonic sorbet. How perfect. Thanks for joining in at HHDD.