Thursday, January 03, 2008

The new year brings....ZUCCHINI'S


Phew! What a hectic holiday break. And of course I never did get around to doing everything I wanted to, like culling my magazine collection, *cleaning out the pantry, having a weedless garden and learning to take photos on my new DSLR (thank you Santa!!). However, it was a great family time, even catching up with my brother, who "dropped in" unexpectedly from Western Australia, so lots of yarns, drinks, sightseeing, lunches, dinners etc were enjoyed. I haven't even cooked a meal for nearly a week! And whilst I've been out and about socializing, the zucchini's have been having a lovely time multiplying and multiplying and multiplying. I shouldn't complain though, as I expected them to do so in this 40 degree heatwave we've been enduring, but it's a sure fire way of making your neighbours avoid sticking their heads over the fence for a chat whilst you're harvesting zucchinis. They're strangely nowhere to be seen.

Fortunately there are bazillions of recipes in ways to use zucchini, but as I'm at the burnt out stage (read that as holiday lazy), a simple zucchini slice to send with my brother on his trip across the Nullaboor desert was all I could manage today.

The oils in my pantry ranged from EVOO through to advocado, herbed flavoured, peanut...but not one drop of vegetable oil. I did, however have a bottle of Carotino Oil , made from red palm and canola oil, lodged at the back of the shelf, which I forgot that I had (*that happens a lot with my pantry items). It's full of Omega 3 fats, lots of vitamins and is a beautiful colour. Just perfect to jazz up a plain old zucchini slice, and good for you too.

Zucchini Slice (from Delicious Magazine)

Ingredients (serves 15)

  • 5 eggs
  • 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
  • 375g zucchini, grated
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 200g rindless bacon, chopped
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil - (or Carotino Oil)

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
  2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Hopefully, Kalyn from Kalyn's Kitchen has utilised her well deserved rest better than I have, as she's launching and hosting the first Weekend Herb Blogging event for 2008. Her roundups are always a pleasure to read and enjoy.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Ah, I should have thought of zucchini slice - I used to love that stuff! I just received my own haul of zucchinis from friends and have been trying to use 'em up in a timely and tasty fashion. There'll be stuffed zucchini, Turkish olive oil zucchinis, and zucchini pasta turning up on my blog soon...

Sounds like your holidays were full of the important stuff - no wonder your chores didn't get finished. Happy new year!

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm so jealous that you have zucchini. My whole garden is buried in snow. This sounds just delicious. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

Pam said...

Hi Cindy, I love the sound of your Turkish Olive Oil Zucchini's. I'll certainly keep my eye out for your posts.

Pam said...

Thanks Kalyn, you are right. It's a very versatile slice and great standby to have in the freezer.

Y said...

My mom used to make zucchini slice all the time, when all of us still stayed at home. Hers was from one of the AWW cookbooks. Very tasty it was.

Pam said...

Hi Y, yes the AWW publications always had great simple recipes. I'd love to know how many different variations of zucchini slice are around. It's a great dish for getting the kids to eat zucchini too.