Sunday, September 30, 2007

Simply smashing

I almost feel guilty submitting this entry to Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging event, hosted by Ulrike from Kutchenlatein, because there is very little effort involved in creating it. This dish, "smashies", as it has been named by the family, is a staple in our house, and it's served up at least once a week.
With only four ingredients involved, and very little preparation required, Smashies are a midweek favourite on those nights that "I can't really be bothered". We're all entitled to a few of those, don't you think.

Boil up some chat potatoes, or new baby potatoes, until they're soft enough to "smash", but not completely cooked through. I use the back of a soup ladle to press down on them, usually with the help of a wooden spoon inside the ladle to help with this process. You will find some may smash to smithereens, but these crunch up beautifully, and are always stolen out of the tray by passers by, before making it to the table.

Liberally sprinkle olive oil, sea salt and fresh rosemary sprigs over the potatoes and bake in the oven until crispy around the edges. Dried rosemary could be used as well, but my garden has a monster of a rosemary bush and the aroma of fresh rosemary baking is one of my sensory delights.

Hmmmmm....one vegetable, one herb. I must be subconsciously planning ahead (practising) for the two year anniversary of Kalyn's Weekend Herb Blogging. I can't wait to see the outcome of everyone's votes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a funny name smashies, we eat it as rosemary potatoes. Thanks for your WHB entry

Nic said...

Love the name - and rosemary is the perfect partner for potatoes! Mmmmm.... delicious!

Kalyn Denny said...

No need to feel guilty at all. And I had noticed that you used one vegetable and one herb. See, my rules are not at all hard to follow. I think the smell of rosemary cooking is one of the most heavenly things you could imagine! Bet this is wonderful.

Pam said...

Thanks Ulrike. Great roundup. Yes, Rosemary Potatoes would be the common and obvious name for this dish, but my girls decided "smashies" were more recognizable.

Thanks Nicisme, you're right. The two pair up like Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers, for want of a better comparison!

Hi Kalyn, I don't think you're rules are complicated at all. I'm sure you'll have lots of stunning combos for the 2 year birthday. Now I just have to think of another one!