Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year and yet another basil recipe!

Where has 2008 gone? December went with a flutter of the eyelids, which is quite obvious looking at the number of posts I've submitted this month. I blame that on the seasons. When it's cold and dreary, you stay inside and cook and blog. When it's warm and sunny, and vegetables need to be planted, tended, watered, beds weeded - who has time to be indoors? Obviously not moi!

The first edition of Weekend Herb Blogging for 2009 will be duly hosted by Haalo, of Cook (Almost) Anything at least once, who is the new Hoodoo Guru of herbs and cooking (and especially photography), and Haalo will be opening up a fantastic New Year of wonderful entries, recipes and a wealth of information provided by herb groupies. I think I can qualify to be one of them by now!

However, I'm starting to sound like a broken record with my first entry for 2009. Yep.....basil. Once again. But...wait....I'm talking about LEMON basil. Citrusy, tangy and "I just can't walk past it without picking a leaf or two and inhaling the scent" type of basil. Eat basil. It's good for arthritis, psoriasis, acne, constipation, stress, build up of gas from over-indulging over the Christmas break...you name it, you've got it....eat basil!!

Lemon basil was born to be married to seafood. Prawns and lemon basil ....salsa agresto with a twang!! Throw in a fillet of Murry River Cod, and you have the perfect close to 2008.

Lemon Salso Agresto

1 cup (160 g) almonds


1 cup (100 g) walnuts


2 cloves garlic


2¾ cups flat-leaf parsley leaves


½ cup firmly packed lemon basil leaves


1½ teaspoons sea salt flakes


freshly ground black pepper


¾ cup (180 ml) extra virgin olive oil


¾ cup (180 ml) verjuice*


Preheat the oven to 200°C.

Roast the almonds and walnuts on separate baking trays for about 5 minutes, shaking to prevent burning. Rub walnuts in a tea towel to removebitter skins, then leave to cool.

Blend the nuts, garlic, herbs, salt and 6 grinds of black pepper in a food processor with a little of the olive oil.

With the motor running, slowly add the remaining oil and verjuice. The consistency should be like pesto. (If required, thin with more verjuice*.)

*If Verjuice is unavailable, you could try mixing white wine vinegar, lemon juice and a bit of sugar as a substitute.

It's the last day of 2008, so I take this opportunity to wish each and everyone a Happy New Year, and may 2009 bring you everything you wish for, plus more.

I'm off to the beach for a couple of days (taking my beanie, winter woollies and Ugh boots...thats Summer in Australia for ya)! Catchya next week, when I'll be the Hostess with the Mostest!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just like you, I can't get enough of Basil and I can't get enough of your recipes too :) Hope you can share some over at foodista. Happy New Year Pam and here's to happiness and health in 2009!

Maria Verivaki said...

i thought that was a nz summer (i havbe always thought of australia as warmer...)
see you tomorrow with a WHB recipe

Rachel said...

Ooh, I've never grown lemon basil before, but now I shall have to seek it out. Great shrimp, er, prawn recipe.

Pam said...

Thanks Foodista, hopefully I can find something to share with your site during 2009.

Hi Mediterranean Kiwi (love the name), our summer is doing all sorts of strange things at present. Thanks for your WHB entry.

Hi Rachel, this is my first time growing lemon basil, so it's quite a novelty. The prawns were delicious.

Dazy said...

This is something new to me. I'm making this tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!